It’s Wednesday, so let’s knock out these Midweek Thoughts.
1. SAE Fraternity Shut Down At Oklahoma University; Victim Blaming Ensues: After the men of SAE were on video chanting about how an ‘nigger’ won’t be accepted into their organization, MSNBC’s Morning Joe hosts Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough actually blamed hip-hop music for them reciting the chants. Really? Anything to take the blame off those that are in the wrong. I’m sure that these chants existed far before hip-hop was discovered in the Bronx. Then it was discovered that four years ago, the chapter at Cornell University shut down after the hazing death of 19-year-old, George Desdunes. Desdunes, had his feet and hands tied together and given so much alcohol that he died a few hours after the incident occurred. This is truly disturbing and I hope that other racist acts in these organizations causes them to be shut down.
2. NFL Free Agency Frenzy: At 4 PM on yesterday, the NFL’s free agency period begin and there were many moves made. Cuts, trades and unexpected signings (Oh my!). It’s going to be interesting to see where a few big names land in the upcoming days/weeks.
3. $9,000 Worth of Underwear Stolen From Wyoming JC Penny: In Cheyenne, WY, someone must’ve been desperate on laundry day as a JC Penny was ripped off of $9,000 worth of drawers. Like who really needs that many underwear and were they going to sell them for the cheap?
4. Robin Thicke & Pharrell Williams To Pay $7.4 Million In Lawsuit: The legal battle that the Estate of Marvin Gaye had against Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams for the use of Marvin Gaye’s “Got To Give It Up” in their 2013 song, “Blurred Lines” won in the estate’s favor to the tune of $7.4 million dollars. Williams and Thicke insists that their version wasn’t infringement but a California jury felt otherwise. Now the family’s lawyer is looking to stop the sales of “Blurred Lines” altogether. This is just another blow to Robin Thicke as his album he was dedicated to his ex-wife Paula Patton flopped like a fish out of water.
5. Kanye West’s Laptop Stolen In Paris: Welp, if there’s some new Kanye West tracks leaking out in the next few weeks, blame it the persons that swiped his laptop in Paris. According to Malik Yusef, there are private investigation firms on the case. Can’t just be leaving your career around all willy nilly, Kanye.